Pages

Martes, Mayo 15, 2012

Endocrinology...



Have you ever experienced being mistaken as younger person? People ask your age and their jaw drops when they find out that you are older than them and yet you look a lot younger? Well, as for me, I get that a lot.


Funny thing is, last time I went to the University to enroll as an in-coming 4th year college student (Oh yeah this is the last year. Graduation here I come!) , the working student at the counter asks for my admission slip because she thought that I was enrolling as a FRESHMAN! Why would she (the working student) do that?



 Well, I came up with two theories. Number one, she taught I am an incoming freshman because I look young (my younger brother even looks older than me. I swear. :)) or number two, she thought I am an incoming freshman because of my height. Perhaps, you wonder what my height is.  I'm about to tell you this secret but please don't tell anyone.For more than 3 three years now, I am 5 feet and 2inches tall. (actually I just rounded it off. I’m just 5 ft. and 1 ½ in.).  It’s because of hormones! I would like to believe that I don’t look my age. Now, I’m asking you to believe theory number one and forget theory number two ever existed. Better yet, let’s just ‘put the blame’ to growth HORMONES and the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM.


Hormones. Endocrine system. Endocrinology. Your mind is probably juggling these words already. But what are these all about? Well this is what I know…



From what I understand, Endocrine system is responsible for hormone balance that aids in the development of the body. These hormones act as “messengers” to different parts of the body. Therefore, I could say that Endocrinology deals with the study of the endocrine system and the secreted hormones and how it affects the human body.

The endocrine system and hormones are like a bow and arrow aiming for a bull’s-eye. The endocrine system is the bow while the hormone is the arrow. After hormones are produced by a certain gland, it enters the bloodstream to reach neighboring cells. This is called the paracrine action. On the other hand, if the target site of the hormones is also the one which produce it, autocrine action takes place.


For you to understand how hormones work, hit the play button of this video clip :)




There are hormones that affect growth, metabolism and even your emotions. They can be classified by tissue origin or by structure. Yes it’s true! Hormones are the reason why your brother is taller than you, why your mom gets fatter or why your sister has mood swings. 


There are hormones that maintain chemical balance or homeostasis (i.e. prostaglandin). Others are responsible the development of the male or female characteristics (i.e. testosterone, estrogen). But, there are also hormones that work together to carry out a specific function (i.e. insulin and glucagon, growth hormone, glucocorticoids, epinephrine,T4 and estrogen for normal carbohydrate metabolism).

What you've read so far in here is just the tip of the ice berg. i encourage you to read books or articles and you’ll learn more about Endocrinology. I hope, in a way, I was able to kindle your interest to learn.


REFERENCES:
  • Calbreath, D.,Clinical Chemistry A Fundamental Textbook
  • Bishop, M. et al, Clinical Chemistry Techniques, Principles, Correlations, 6th edition;
  • Greenspan, F., Gardner, D., B, Basic and Clinical Endocrinology, 6th edition, International edition; Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill 2001
  • Burtis, C., Ashwood, E., Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry 4th edition,W.B. Saunders Company, 1996
  • http://www.hormone.org/endocrine_system.cfm
Images:


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento